Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Review: Urban Decay's NAKED Palette

I resisted long enough and finally treated myself to the Urban Decay NAKED palette about a month ago. I've heard great things about the pigmentation of the colors, the staying power, and the hue combinations. So I was very excited to drag this along to two trips to see how much I could get out of it.

pic borrowed from ulta.com
The pigmentation is amazing. The feel is velvety and the staying power is excellent if you use the primer potion underneath for oily lids (like mine). What I didn't like was the fallout from the sparkly colors. The mattes are to die for, but the sparkly colors left me a little meh.

Even with the primer potion underneath, the second and third sparkly colors don't really stay or pack a punch by the end of the day. I had to brush away fallout for the second color quite often, to the extent that my under eye area reminded me of sparkly tinkerbell makeup!

All around the $48 plus tax was well spent. The set includes a flat synthetic brush that helps you pack on the shadow very well and which cleans very easily with a hand wipe or your favorite brush cleaner. It also comes with a miniature size of the primer potion (the container that had all the makeup gurus up in arms because it's inefficient).

I am getting a lot of mileage out of the light and dark colors, and some of the sparkling ones are great under the mattes for an unexpected pop when layered just so. I would definitely buy this again. In regards to the NAKED II palette, I wouldn't really want to buy that until I've hit pan on several of the current palette's colors. Which looks like it will be a while, because, even with daily use, a light touch has gone far.

NOTE: As I was searching the Ulta page for a photo to add to this blog post, I just realized the price has gone up to $50 plus tax.

1 comment:

E Lim said...

I like the shades but i guess I have to pass on this one because I find it expensive for a palette. I guess i have to find other brands that have good shades like this one in a cheaper price.