Saturday, January 26, 2008

Review: L'Oreal Eye Makeup and More

I've been a long-term fan of L'Oreal products because they're convenient to locate, at excellent price points, and the products have been non-allergenic and pigmented sufficiently for my needs.

NOTE: because of L'Oreal Paris USA's new website in flash, it's very hard to capture URLs for links. Though the website is easier to navigate at this point in time, than what I found it to be earlier.

My number one favorite line from L'Oreal has been eye makeup. I have tried:

  • Featherlash mascara with the normal and the curved brushes
  • Lash Architect mascara - didn't work for me, maybe a little too drying
  • Telescopic mascara in carbon black - amazing applicator which is soft and siliconey, helps target each lash
  • Voluminous Full Definition mascara - excellent in regular colors or carbon black -- the latter is my favorite thus far and across the board for light coverage or more intense looks
  • Voluminous Mistake-Proof Marker Eyeliner -- it's just like a highlighter pen, but I'm very untalented with liquids and creams so I prefer pencil. Something to try for newbies interested in the liquid look
  • Le Kohl Pencil -- my favorite eyeliner across the board, still I won't use this in the water line (or any other products in the water line for that matter) because I wear contact lenses and I prefer not to
  • Lineur Intense Brush tip -- a little too hard for me to get the little brush tip to bend and twist at my lash base. I've heard good things about the tip from experienced liquid users, however
  • Lineur Intense Felt tip -- I found this awkward to use on my lashline, I could never get it to make my lash base appear fuller, so I instead applied this to create a 60s style winged look for the weekend
  • Micro liner ultra fine lining pencil -- I found that this works best for me when I'm doing creative eye makeup and no the usual, because the tip is so too small to help me line my eyes or make my lashes appear fuller at the base
  • Pencil Perfect Self-Advancing eyeliner -- this is great because you don't need to sharpen it, however, I found that the staying power was less than pencil. Not bad for a smokey, blended look though
  • Eyeshadows -- I do not like any of the L'Oreal eyeshadows because I find them too powdery or chalky and hard to blend. They are also too drying for my eyes, and a little irritating when the powder enters my contact lense-filled eyes
  • Makeup-artiste brushes -- I love these brushes because they're soft and work well to pat color on or blend...not to mention the price point! The all purpose eye brush is shaped at a very soft, blunted point in the center so you can use the flat side to pat on the base shadow, one tip side to add contour or brow colors and the other side to blend. It's very useful for when I travel.
  • HiP product line -- I have not tried any of the HiP product line, and hope to do so soon, especially the powdered eyeshadow since many have compared it to MAC's pigments.

All around, these eyemakeup products have allowed me to experiment without spending money on products I'll regrest buying. I've grown to love these eye products outside of Bare Escentuals, MAC, and Jane Iredale.

As it regards foundations, I've always had a terrible time locating a brand that suits both my peachy undertones and the light yellow tinge to my skin (except for MAC). The closest I've come has been Jane Iredale, but they're a little too yellow (perfect for summer and not winter).

The only L'Oreal foundation products I've tried have been:

  • True Match Super Blendable makeup in N1 -- on my skin it was not very blendable and it was too white for my tone

I'm having difficulty determining if the other foundations can suit my congested/oily-combination skin and skin tone. The mineral foundation that L'Oreal is offering through the gorgeous Penelope Cruz promos seems like greenwashing to me just now.

No comments: