Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hair: Straight or Curly?

I purchased a straightening iron last week, and have used it, once all over, and the remainder of the time just to do my new bangs (side swept). I think I've had much more success after applying a heat spray or a heat cream.

I bought today another, heat-styling product, a curling iron. I was a HUGE fan of curling irons in the early to mid 90s, and I used to love my straightening and zig-zag iron in the 80s. I think that we've come a very long way in product quality since the 80s, having moved from aluminum to tourmaline and ion enriched ceramics.

I'm a late adopter of products sometimes, but I like to do it this way because I can read and learn as much as possible from early adopters, and because products are improved and cost less when one waits a little. Also, when it comes to hair styling, there are innumerable techniques to fake a look without having to go the whole way--such as using straightening creams and other hair styling products, along with paddle and round brushes, to mimic a Brazilian blow dry or a Brazilian/Japanese straightening process.

Here's a rundown of the two products and why I selected them:
  • Conair 11/4 tourmaline ceramic curling iron - this has an instant heat setting within 30 seconds, it has ceramic which is the industry standard, and it has tourmaline which ionizes hair to reduce frizz and enhance shine. It also features various levels of heat, including very high for very coarse hair. The only minus right now is that the settings or off button can very easily, accidentally be turned off or the setting changed as you use the curling iron around your head.
  • Remington Wet 2 Straight straightening iron - is gentler on hair but never straighten wet hair! Instant heat setting within 15 seconds, digital controls on side to help prevent accidental setting changes, tourmaline and ceramic to help control frizz and add shine. Also, the plates seem longer than in other irons.
In regards to heat styling products, I spent about 20 to 25 minutes at Sally's and got Ion Healing Jojoba Flat Iron Cream and Generic Value Products Thermal Protection Spray. Although the cream's beads are supposed to melt away as you iron, I actually find this product works best for me when I am finishing up my style instead. The thermal protection spray is outstanding.

No comments: