Friday, July 27, 2012

Makeup With Summer Staying Power

I recently commuted for two days to and from the Chicago area suburbs and downtown Chicago on what must have been the hottest, humidest, sunniest, and rainiest days this summer season has seen.

It's really tough to be able to predict the whims of mother nature, but planning ahead for a good variety of potential ifs can make or break your makeup for important commutes.

I discovered that Revlon's Colorstay foundation for combination skin is a godsend for my skin. It dries a little quickly as I am applying it, but covers well, suits my skin tone, and prevents oilies and slippage during the craziest weather. For the ENTIRE day. It's amazing.

For eye makeup, I donned Urban Decay's Primer Potion before layering on neutral MAC eyeshadows (amber lights and satin taupe in the crease and outer corner, ricepaper on the lid, and vanilla as eye duct and brow highlight). I paid extra attention to outline my crease well, and add some highlight on the browbone to continue the well-defined look even if the eyeshadow starts to disappear after a very long day. These tricks worked, especially when I outlined my waterproof eyeliner (Maybelline MasterDrama in bold brown) with a similar-color eyeshadow powder (MAC mystery) for staying power.

Now, if only I could find a mascara that looks lively after a long day! The search goes on, but my Clinique Naturally Glossy Mascara doesn't irritate my eyes or smudge as much as pretty much all other brands (I was recently disappointed with Almay Get up and Grow's smudging and flaking).

A simple lip (EOS lip balm and either Revlon lip butter or Elf hypershine gloss in a nice pink), should button up the look pretty well and be able to be refreshed easily throughout the day.

I'm glad I have a solid arsenal of tricks and good products to leverage when I need to lookp resentable while putting up with almost any weather craziness the Chicago area summer can bring. So bring it on mother nature!

No comments: