Sunday, August 22, 2010

Moisturizer and Oily Skin

As a person of fairly problematic oily/combination skin, I've become uber sensitive to products, the skincare/makeup routine buildup, and the long-term or short-term changes they can effect on my skin.

It's been a couple of months now that I've been using Kiehl's Ultra Moisturizer, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that my skin doesn't like it. It's too rich. I've had increased breakouts and roughening of skin, even with periodic exfoliation and occasional masques. I thought it was the cleanser, but had my doubts. I'm pretty sure it's the moisturizer now, since I've stopped using it and my skin's improving.

I recently visited my local Aveda salon (Asha Salon and Spa) for a facial, and grabbed another bottle of their exfoliant toner (Botanical Kinetics Exfoliant), which helps keep oily skin and pores clean and fresh--I've not found this to be drying at all. The esthetician also recommended an acne lotion (Outer Peace Acne Relief Lotion) that uses natural ingredients and essences to help manage oily, acne-prone skin. Thus far the combination of these products, added to my daily regime, has restored my skin to a balanced and healthy appearance. Which actually kinda blew me away.

Of course, a summer full of sunscreen, hot weather, cold weather, humidity, dry air, and all sorts of other environmental aggressors are also partly to blame for the bad turnout on my skin of late.

I'm glad I somehow managed to restore my confidence in my skin routine and improved the overall look and health via a facial and a review of my skincare product choices.

No comments: