Monday, April 25, 2011

Trouble Finding Your Size? You're Not Alone.

Over the past year I've experienced great difficulty identifying what size I am. Often believing I actually fall between two sizes.

Most times, I face difficulty purchasing tops that end up being too huge, and bottoms that have a large hips/crotch area that falls down while the hip and thigh area is suited perfectly.

Why can't women's bottoms come in inseam and waist measurements like men's? At Gap recently, I tried on a jean that only comes in inseam 33" for women, but noticed nearby that men's come in a variety of inseams. Why? I have to get my jeans and other pants from Gap altered all the time after purchase, or risk tripping in about three to four inches of extra fabric at the bottom. It's an excruciating source of frustration for me.

Apparently, I'm not alone. Due to diversification in cuts and country of origin, clothing is now as inprecise in its general size ranges as it's ever been.

There was a great article on the New York Times website today (One Size Fits Nobody: Seeking a Steady 4 or a 10 by Stephanie Clifford).

I would be over the moon if they installed a MyBodyFit machine in local area shopping centers! Sadly, it looks like it's the old East Coast and West Coast first syndrome. Oh well, I can wait to purchase new clothing till then (evil laugh).

No comments: